Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Sealed Sketch

In the box I told the story that I thought you might not know, the story of how I found myself climbing to your door.

In the box there is a world-- it is a plane for the most part, with occasional mountains in the far right corner, and a tower in the fore-ground. It is a tall tower, all huge stone blocks like the ones used to make pyramids for to remember kings, and there is a window towards the top, worlds away from the flatly anchored ground, where in the box I stand, looking up.

And when I see you looking out there is a moment of despair, eternities of moments of the desperate longing of one who knows their heart is incomplete and must needs remain that way.

It is the longing of one whose heart's desire is impossible, unreal, and in the box it fills the sketchéd lines.

In the lines of ink, I twitch my ears and wag my tail and set out to climb your tower, for what else can I do? And my hands slip, and slide, and there is no purchase for coyote-fingers on the black lines and I fall, not very far, and am confused.

And on the paper, I look back up and cannot see the tower window from the ground.

In the box that I sealed and folded and hid away, on the plane of shadowed sketchéd lines, I turn for the mountains, and nearly vanish to a pinprick, to the distance and away. When the ink moves on I am returning with stones, stolen from the mountainside, and there is a hope in the silhouette once more.

And when the stone tower that I build on the plane by the tower in the box crumbles, it hides away the scene, leaving no trace of what may've gone before, until the dust should clear away, and I am left among the stones upon the ground, scattered and bemused and the cloud yet obscures the tower window where you may not e'en remain.

In desperation now, there is a silhouette, in pen and ink on an inked cliff, holding the scraps of feathers I suspected, in the box, would not suffice for wings. And from the cliff a not-quite-wingéd shape falls, forward at first and then abruptly down, straight down, like an unshaded and unsubtle sketch.

And like the simple line on which I'm based, I crash in distant clouds of disturbed dust, a tragicomedy that fills the space but poorly, and a silence follows, in the box where the mountains point so subtly to the tower where I saw your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment